The final days of preparing for a trip tend to be stressful. You’re raring to begin your journey, and you want to make sure you’re prepared for the unexpected.
Have you got your car insurance for Mexico ready? Your trip can creep up quickly, and you want to have peace of mind before departing. You should also thinking about keeping a spare copy of your Mexican insurance online handy. In the meantime, learn about these five essential tasks to complete before crossing the border into Mexico.
- Passports: All members of your traveling party should have valid passports or passport cards. Even if the Mexican authorities spare you at the border, you will definitely be inspected when coming back.
- Vehicle inspection: A breakdown on the other side of the border can be frustrating. In a remote setting, it can pose safety or security risks. Your coverage can help with emergency roadside service, but it’s best to avoid trouble. If possible, get your car a tune-up before heading to Mexico.
- Obtain a map: While a wireless phone or tablet is optical, a print map of Mexico is invaluable if you lose your signal. Carry a print map that you have created online, or obtain a professional map of the region you will visit.
Pro Tip: Car insurance for Mexico is now required
- Find a Spanish-English dictionary: A lack of wireless connectivity can be inconvenient if you need the iPhone for translating Spanish. A small dictionary is helpful if you have communication issues at a checkpoint, gas station, etc.
- Verify the terms of your policy: Even if you’ve purchased coverage in advance, take the time to make sure that your details are in order. After all, you can always change a short-term policy in advance of the effective date.
- NEW! Confirm locations are open