Am I allowed to drive someone else’s car into Mexico with my Mexican car insurance policy?

Technically, you are allowed to drive somebody else's car into Mexico without any special documentation. However, you could run into some serious red tape in the event of an accident. Your Mexican car insurance policy will cover you, but you might have a hard time explaining whose vehicle you are using and that you have permission to drive it. If you have to drive someone else’s car into Mexico, secure a letter of permission from them and if in doubt, have it notarized.

In general, it’s usually best to drive your own vehicle into Mexico. When a vehicle is registered in your own name, and you can prove it, any issues that crop up will be handled a lot more smoothly. The authorities like seeing matching documentation; if your passport, picture ID, vehicle registration and Mexican car insurance policy all carry your name, you’ll have a much easier time handling any incidents that occur. Mexican nationals with Mexico drivers licenses should NEVER cross the border driving someone else's US plated vehicle.

Was this article helpful?

Have more questions? Submit a request.

Please email us at